Our year 7 students headed to Tea Gardens, near Hawks Nest for a fun-filled 3-day camp from February 15 – 17. This was a great way to bring the year group together as they commence a successful start to high school. Students’ not only challenged themselves in activities that placed them out of their comfort zones; they learned to work together; encourage each other; they developed new friendships and learned more about each other; and they created some wonderful memories.
Our students were busy from the moment they arrived at camp and it was wonderful to see their enthusiasm and joy as they took part in various thrill seeking activities and water based fun. The students were so exhausted by their busy, fun packed days it meant that even the teachers managed to get some sleep at night.
Some of the notable activities included:
- abseiling- from the top of a 12m tower and lowering themselves down. Those who couldn’t face the 12m could opt for a 5m abseil instead.
- the giant swing – safely secured in a harness, students are pulled up a height of 12m by their peers and when they reached the top, they released themselves to enjoy a free swing.
- the mud challenge “lost island” – where students had to navigate their way around and guide each other through a watery muddy obstacle course that had tunnels, slides and beams.
- sea kayaking was a favourite amongst the students, as they got to paddle with a friend along the sea shore at Jimmy’s Beach near Hawks Nest. The beautiful views and blue water were spectacular and students got to snorkel and swim at the completion of their kayak.
- high ropes course – this year so many students stepped out of their comfort zones by completing this challenging course, where they navigated their way around a continuous zip-line obstacle course 3m above the ground.
- flying fox – this is always a favourite for students with the majority returning for a second go.
The Great Aussie Bush Camp is such a worthwhile camp for our students and one of the many fantastic high school experiences they will get to enjoy. Well done Year 7 and thank you to Mrs Smith, Mr Fallah, Ms Moir, Mr Wilson and Ms Kitson.