On Wednesday the 21st May, a senior school success day has been organised to help all Year 11 and 12 students develop study and personal management skills to assist performance with their senior study at Gymea Technology High School. The services of “Elevate Education” have been engaged for the day.
Session 1 Path of the Study Sensei – This session addresses the question: “What is study?” The seminar breaks down study techniques of top students, providing students with a road-map for what they need to be doing across the year and how to do it.
- Working Consistently. How to get notes done during term, instead of just before exams.
- Note taking. How to get those big ideas students have extracted from their readings into an organised set of notes that will facilitate learning.
- Conceptual Learning Skills. Teaching students how to break the information into relevant parts as opposed to simply rote learning the material.
- Standing out on assessment. How to distinguish themselves from the thousands of students who are taught the same material.
Session 2 Memory and Mnemonics – The only thing trickier than getting through all the work in the final years of school can be remembering it! In this seminar we cover simple to use techniques that help students with their memorisation and recall of information. This seminar also shows students what an ineffective study environment can do to their memory. Students are introduced to ways to deal with Facebook, music, TV, distractions, internet and ineffective work times.
- Understanding memory and how to manipulate it
- Examination and why we forget
- How to ensure more information is retained
- Memory techniques to suit different learning styles
- Rote learning
- Structure and memory