Welcome to our Design2learn project and 21st Century learning where progressive classroom design means inspiring and motivating learning environments and progressive and enriched learning experiences for all students. With our modern, innovative and flexible 21st Century classrooms we have created a whole new learning experience, a new approach to learning that enhances the academic, social and emotional outcomes of students.
Several key elements were considered in classroom design:
- Worldwide Research and new approaches to student learning.
- Access to Technology
- Type of furniture to make it easier for students to collaborate
- Flexibility and Colour
- Classroom design has a strong positive impact on student motivation and influences levels of student interaction and engagement.
- Engagement and active learning improve retention.
- Learning, and in particular higher-order level learning can hit much deeper when done collaboratively.
- Classroom design improves the social, academic and emotional outcomes of students.
- Technology engages students in learning and understanding.
- Classroom design can help develop skills for life and work beyond the classroom.
Our new collaborative classrooms are learner centred and facilitate multiple forms of engagement in learning, such as collaborative group work and technology enabled activities. Traditional learning and instruction in soldier like rows, where students worked individually and learned passively has been transformed into groups of students immersed in active learning, who work together and share ideas.
Our new generation of students learn best when they work collaboratively with their peers. When students work together, they focus on teamwork and problem solving. When students share knowledge and ideas, they learn from eachother and explore their creativity. These skills better prepare students for higher learning and rapidly changing 21st Century workplaces.